26 June 2008

June 15: Powerscourt


Powerscourt is a beautiful manor house on the south side of Dublin. We walked through their gardens and admired their forward thinking for their time. They seemed to be interested in travel, supported by the fact that they had a Japanese garden created on their grounds at the turn of the century.


Okay, so everybody who knows anything about me knows that I love animals. I love it when animals talk in commercials or movies (even though I don’t usually ACTUALLY watch those movies, because the movies themselves are dumb . . .). I love my cat, and I love other people’s animals. I totally understand when it feels like your animal is a member of your family. But, even I was a little amazed at the pet cemetery that we visited today at Powerscourt Gardens. These very wealthy people owned this estate on the southern outskirts of Dublin and included a cemetery for their pets, mostly dogs. However, there were also some horses and ponies buried there, and the most hilarious: cows. Here are two gravestones that I thought were especially funny. Make sure you read the text.



After visiting the house we went to my favorite place to eat: Avoca cafe for a delicious tea/dinner and then drove home.

No comments: